While some jobs only require a single standard work shift, others may require shifts that last up to 24 hours, depending on the job.
First, Second, and Third shifts are the names of these three shifts, each of which lasts eight hours on average.
What is first shift? The first shift usually works from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The second shift works from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m., and the third shift works from 12 a.m. to 8 a.m.
Please continue reading so I can show you the post’s more detailed information.
Table of Contents
Pros Of First Shift
It will be simpler for you as an employer to find candidates for a position with first shift hours than for one with second or third shifts. That’s because the first shift is the most common schedule, which offers workers a number of advantages.
Here are some reasons why your staff members or prospective hires might favor working the first shift:
- More resources: Employees on the first shift report for duty during regular business hours, so other establishments are also open. During the day, employees are more likely to receive the assistance they require if they need to call a supplier or make a service call.
- Better for socializing: The daytime is usually busier for businesses, so more people work the morning shift. Your staff members will have the opportunity to interact and form bonds with coworkers as a result. According to studies, relationships among coworkers improve employees’ sense of fulfillment and happiness.
- Fits with the body’s natural schedule:Adults, more than half of them, have an internal clock that runs on the same schedule as the sun. A few hours before sunrise, they awaken, and a few hours after sunset, they go to bed. As employees are active and at work when the sun is up, this kind of sleep schedule fits in perfectly with the day shift. To put it another way, most adults don’t need to alter their regular sleeping patterns to accommodate first shift hours.
- Provides better work-life balance:People who work the first shift can easily maintain a social life because they get off work at the same time as most people. On the other hand, night shift workers who must sleep during the day find it more challenging to hang out with friends and family.
- More childcare options: Employees with children who work the day shift have a variety of childcare options available to them because schools and daycares are open during regular business hours.
Editor’s pick: How long will it take me to get to work really? How to cut commuting time? Click here!
Cons Of First Shift
Working standard business hours has drawbacks, of course, just like anything else.
From the viewpoint of an employee, the following are some drawbacks to working the first shift:
- Rush hour: The first shift is when the majority of people arrive and depart from work, so heavy traffic is a given on weekdays. If an employee works a regular 9 to 5 job, they may be forced to spend an hour traveling back and forth from their home.
- Requires waking up early: While most people rise and set with the sun, that isn’t always the case. For early first shift jobs that begin between 5 and 7 a.m., workers who aren’t morning people may find it challenging to get out of bed. To make the customary 8 to 9 a.m., some people might need to rise early in the morning. start time if they have to deal with rush hour on the way to work.
- Less chance for higher pay: A lot of employers offer higher pay for alternative hours, particularly the night shift. Therefore, there are opportunities to earn higher pay rates during third shifts (and occasionally during second shifts). However, since the first shift already fits with the majority of people’s sleep, parenting, and social schedules, employers do not provide bonus rates for working during the day.
Differences Between First, Second, And Third Shift
The Time Frame
Every shift covers a different time of day, though the exact hours vary.
- First Shift (or Day Shift) is from the early morning until the late afternoon.
- Second Shift (or Swing Shift) runs from the late afternoon to the early evening.
- Third Shift (or The Night Shift shift runs from dusk to dawn.
The first shift resembles a typical 9 a.m. the most. to 5 p.m. work schedule. However, the typical start time is at 5, 6, or 7 a.m. A first shift may also consist of a twelve-hour period, beginning at 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. While night shifts typically start anywhere between 6 p.m. and midnight, second shifts typically cover the afternoons and evenings. and midnight. Again, the second and third shifts might work in eight-, ten-, or twelve-hour blocks.
Some people have a natural tendency to stay up late. As a result, they have no problem with the idea of working all night, sleeping past noon, and enjoying their daily lives in the afternoon. Others find it impossible to imagine being awake at three in the morning! Despite the fact that first shift is frequently the most popular, second and third shifts also have their advantages. For instance, fewer people work during the evening hours, which results in fewer interruptions. In addition, commute times are reduced after work. Read What Shift Work Is the Best for You? to find out more about the advantages and disadvantages of each shift.
Third and/or second shifts occasionally, but not always, have higher pay. Since first shift is frequently preferred, businesses frequently “sell” later shifts using higher pay. Companies may offer additional second and third shift benefits like paid vacation days if higher pay is not an option.
Many companies will switch up your shift assignment rather than consistently placing you on the first or second shift: You work the first shift on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; on Thursday and Saturday, you work the swing shift. For about 25% of workers in North America, this is daily life at work.
It’s much more challenging to establish a regular sleep schedule without regular shifts. It becomes even harder if you work multiple shifts in one week as opposed to working first shift for one week and second shift for the next. Working graveyard or swing shifts has a detrimental impact on your health that only gets worse over time.
See more about
- What Is A Split Shift?
- What Is A Swing Shift?
Take Care Of Yourself
If you have to rotate shifts, it’s easiest to get used to a clockwise schedule like first, second, third, first, second, third. The most challenging rotation is one that is counterclockwise.
You can stay alert by napping before starting the third shift or during the second or third shift’s “lunch” break. If you work a fixed second or third shift, maintaining the same schedule on your days off will help you sleep better.
Working swing or graveyard shifts interferes with meal and sleep schedules, which is one reason why shift workers experience stomach issues. Even if it’s not at the regular times, try to schedule your meals so you eat three squares daily. Plan your meals to prevent late-night vending machine snacks.
You must be accessible as a business owner whenever your clients require your services. Regular business hours are sufficient for many companies. You might choose, however, to stay open later to draw in more customers or to keep customer service open all night to handle any issues that may arise.
Whatever schedule you find most convenient, one thing is certain: Most likely, you require personnel for the first shift. The good news is that daytime employment shouldn’t be difficult to find because the first shift is the most popular schedule. All that’s left to do is assess your company and determine the schedule that works best for you!
We appreciate you reading.
Find it Useful? Share Now
What does it mean to work first shift? ›
First Shift (Day Shift): Start time between 5:00 AM and 9:30 AM (Straight Time Rate) Second Shift (Swing): Start time between 9:31 AM and 8:00 PM (Straight Time Rate. +17.3%) Third Shift (Graveyard): Start time between 8:01 PM and 4:59 AM (Straight Time Rate.What is considered the first shift? ›
First shift positions typically work during regular business hours. Generally, employees who work first shift hours start work at or after 7:00 a.m. and leave at or before 5:00 p.m. Common first shift work hours include 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. or 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Be honest. Consider your specific situation and if you will be able to handle a shifting schedule or going into work on nights and weekends. If there are times when you are unavailable to work, mention it.
- Show your comfort with shift work. If you are OK with shift work, show it in your response.
The term shift work refers to any work schedule that falls outside the hours of 7 am and 6 pm. View Source . Shift work can include evening, night, and early morning shifts, as well as fixed or rotating schedules. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, approximately 16% of wage and salary employees.What do you do on your first shift at work? ›
- Plan your commute. ...
- Plan your outfit. ...
- Enter the building on time. ...
- Be authentic. ...
- Be relaxed. ...
- Prepare an elevator pitch about yourself. ...
- Ask lots of questions. ...
- Be friendly.
The most obvious advantage of the day shift is having a "normal" sleep routine. Since humans are programmed to feel more tired and need sleep during the night, working during the day tends to be easier and more convenient for most people. So, if you enjoy sleeping at nighttime, the day shift is an ideal choice.What is the ideal work shift? ›
In the end, scientists generally agree that the ideal daily working time is around 6 hours, and more concentrated in the morning.What is the healthiest work schedule? ›
In general, clockwise shift rotations should be used (day–evening–night). Ideally, a rotational schedule should include no more than 3 night shifts in a block, with 3 days of recuperation after the night shift work. In general, 8-hour shifts are preferable to 12-hour shifts.How do I prepare for my first shift? ›
- Research your new company thoroughly. ...
- Actually plan out your introduction. ...
- Arrive on time. ...
- Be prepared the night before. ...
- Remember all of your paperwork and details. ...
- Give yourself the chance to mentally prepare. ...
- Set boundaries early.
- When you don't like your company.
- When you want to move for higher pay.
- When you don't like the work in the company.
- When you are looking for more opportunities.
- When you have personal reasons.
- When you want to pursue other goals.
- When you want flexibility in the job.
Can you handle work under pressure? ›
The answer is Yes. We surely can work under stress but the cons in working under pressure or stress is that it hinders or blocks your creativity and ability to take smart decisions. So to overcome this situation, we should stay calm and breathe more.How do you handle stress and pressure? ›
- Decide what you can do. Pinpoint which parts of the situation you have the power to change or influence for the better. ...
- Get support. Find someone to talk to about your situation. ...
- Care for yourself. Take especially good care of yourself when stress in your life is high.
The shift day is divided into three types of shifts: first shift, second shift and third shift. These may also be referred to as the morning shift, afternoon shift and night shift. Shift timings may vary depending on the type of business, hours of operation and whether an employee is full- or part-time.What is the purpose of a shift? ›
Shift work is an employment practice designed to make use of, or provide service across, all 24 hours of the clock each day of the week (often abbreviated as 24/7). The practice typically sees the day divided into shifts, set periods of time during which different groups of workers perform their duties.What are the two types of shift? ›
- A. Permanent shift. Permanent shifts means that the employee only works a type of shift, for example only night shifts or only afternoon shifts. ...
- B. Rotating shifts. ...
- C. Continuous shift. ...
- D. Discontinuous shift. ...
- E. Swing shift.
Over the course of your first day, you'll likely do the customary tour around the workplace, and you could be in for a lot of introductions. While most will just be a handshake and exchanging of names, you should prepare a quick elevator speech about yourself and what you'll be doing at the company.What to expect on first day of work? ›
Your first day of work will likely include a one-on-one meeting with your manager. He or she may talk to you about your training schedule, job responsibilities, and what types of projects you'll be involved with. Don't be surprised if you're given a project to start on or assist with on your first day of work.How do you have a successful shift? ›
- Effective Communication. ...
- Navigation of Difficult Conversations. ...
- Spotting Skill Sets. ...
- Proactive Problem Solving. ...
- Functionality. ...
- Team Centered Mindset. ...
- Strategic Thinking. ...
There is good evidence that shift work is related to serious health issues, such as increased obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, stomach and digestive disorders, ulcers, fertility issues, depression, higher risk of family and social problems, and an increased risk of workplace or motor vehicle accidents ...How does shift work affect your body? ›
"Researchers have found that shift work is linked to an increased risk of heart attacks, ulcers, depression, obesity and high blood pressure, along with sleep problems, such as trouble falling asleep, trouble staying asleep and excessive sleepiness," he said.
How can shift work affect your social life? ›
It can also be stressful for the family to have to adapt its activities to the shift plan of the working family member. This can result in a diminution of quality of life, problems in partnerships, and – in the worst case – to social isolation.What is the 5 4 9 work schedule? ›
5-4/9 CWS - a type of compressed work schedule in which an employee meets the 80-hour work requirement by working four 9-hour days and one 8-hour day during one workweek plus four 9-hour days and a day off during the alternate week, in addition to the established lunch period for the Office.What is the most common shift? ›
The first shift is the most common shift among corporations. Employees perform work within standard working hours, typically starting after 7:00 a.m. and ending around 5:00 p.m. First shift employees often interact with each other and customers, as people typically share this schedule.At what age should you stop working night shifts? ›
For ageing employees, night work reduces sleep quality and recovering from demanding shifts takes more time. Based on new research results, the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health recommends providing employees over 50 years of age with better opportunities to reduce night shifts and long hours.How do you stay healthy with a 9-5? ›
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water at regular intervals is extremely important at work. ...
- Eat only home cooked meals. ...
- Stretch at regular intervals. ...
- Sit in the right posture. ...
- Regulate your meals.
Recent research showed the brains of workers who'd done 10 years of night shifts had aged by an extra six-and-a-half years. They couldn't remember as much or think so quickly.Why are you interested in this position? ›
“I see this opportunity as a way to contribute to an exciting/forward-thinking/fast-moving company/industry, and I feel I can do so by/with my …” “I feel my skills are particularly well-suited to this position because …” “I believe I have the type of knowledge to succeed in this role and at the company because …”Why should we hire you answers? ›
Your skills and qualifications. If you can prove that you've got all the skills that the company is looking for in a candidate, you'll have effectively answered the question. Your passion and motivation. You can highlight how good of a company fit you'd be and how much you love working in your field or industry.Why do you want this position? ›
Mention any skills or work experience that makes you a unique, strong candidate for the job. If possible, use numbers to express how you can add value to the business. For example, if you saved your previous company a certain amount of money, mention this, and say that you want to do the same for this company.Can you tell me a time when you failed to meet a deadline? ›
I missed my deadline and had to change the delivery window. The client wasn't happy with the extra time I needed. While I did finish the project, it took much longer than it should have. Had I taken those steps to test changes at every stage, I wouldn't have had to go back to the drawing board to make changes.
How do you answer what makes you angry? ›
How to answer: “What makes you angry?” Consider preparing this question by reflecting on your career. You can think about past jobs or educational situations where you felt angry. Just relate the situation to the workplace so that the interviewer can understand how you manage your emotions in the workplace.How do I stay calm in stressful situations? ›
- Breathe. Take a few slow, deep breaths. ...
- Count to 10. In the time it takes you to do so, you may be able to look at your situation with a fresh pair of eyes.
- Take a walk. ...
- Try a 3-Minute Meditation. ...
- Practice gratitude. ...
- Eat well. ...
- Get moving. ...
- Let it go.
I would like to be financially independent and gain more time-to-time knowledge in the company's goals. And to get a respected position that is my future endeavour to easy. As a person, I want to be a more skilled, more capable person. As a professional, I see myself as handling more responsibilities.What are you passionate about? ›
This could be: Working with technology, solving interesting technical challenges, helping people, making a difference in people's lives, helping people live healthier lives, etc. Then think about why that excites you, or how that fits into your personal interests.What is 1st shift 2nd and 3rd? ›
These three shifts typically last 8 hours and are called, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift. 1st Shift usually takes place between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. 2nd Shift is worked between 5 p.m. and 1 a.m. 3rd Shift typically takes place between the hours of 12 a.m. and 8 a.m.What are working shifts examples? ›
What Is Shift Work? Shift work takes place during times that exceed the traditional 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. schedule. Shift work may involve morning work (e.g., 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.), night work (e.g., 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.), or a rotating shift schedule that incorporates both.What are the different work shifts called? ›
- First Shift. First Shift—often referred to as the morning shift—runs from 9 am to 5 pm. ...
- Second Shift. Second Shift, also known as the evening shift, usually begins at 6 pm and ends around 12 am. ...
- Third Shift. ...
- Full-time. ...
- Part-time. ...
- Seasonal workers. ...
- Rotating. ...
So here are our five shifts, expert to beginner, perfection to done, command and control to trust and transparency, failure aversion to failure-seeking, self-judgment to self-compassion.Why second shift is the best? ›
You've got plenty of time. Plus, the stores are typically less crowded, making your task smoother and easier. Second shift schedules can also be incredibly helpful for those pursuing other life goals, like a second job or education. Having mornings open is perfect for class schedules and other responsibilities.What are 1st 2nd and 3rd shifts? ›
1st Shift usually takes place between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. 2nd Shift is worked between 5 p.m. and 1 a.m. 3rd Shift typically takes place between the hours of 12 a.m. and 8 a.m.
What is 1st 2nd or 3rd shift? ›
The 1st shift (early, morning, am) traditionally runs from 7am – 3.30pm. The 2nd shift (late, afternoon, pm) starts just before the 1st shift finishes, 2pm and ceases at 10pm. Whereas the 3rd shift (graveyard, night shift) means working overnight from 9pm-7am.Is first shift the best shift? ›
Within the three-shift structure, morning or first shift, is the most sought-after shift. It is perfect for those who consider themselves to be morning people and like spending their evenings with their families. Typically, the morning shift will start between 7am and 8am, but this is controlled by the employer.What is the healthiest shift work schedule? ›
In general, 8-hour shifts are preferable to 12-hour shifts. Circadian physiology suggests that morning shifts should begin no earlier than 8:00 am for the physiological best fit to circadian rhythmicity.What are the 3 different shifts? ›
What are the Types of Work Shifts?
- First Shift. ...
- Second Shift. ...
- Third Shift. ...
- Split Shift.
What is the 2-2-3 work schedule? The 2-2-3 shift pattern (also known as the Panama schedule) typically requires four teams of employees to provide adequate 24-hour coverage. Each team works two consecutive day shifts, followed by two days off, followed by three more days of work.Is second shift better than first? ›
Working during the second shift allows you to work with people from both the first shift and the third shift, exposing you to a larger variety of people. More people may see your abilities and the value you provide to the company. As a result, this may help you advance into a leadership opportunity more easily.What is a 3 2 2 work shift? ›
A 3-2-2 workweek is the same thing as a 2-2-3 schedule, which means four teams of employees work 2 days in a row, get 2 days off, then work 3 more days.What is the most common work shift? ›
What's the Most Common Full-Time Work Schedule? The most popular work schedule for non-exempt employees is the Monday through Friday, nine-to-five schedule. This schedule delivers a standard 40-hour workweek for employees to accomplish tasks in a predictable manner.How early should you show up to your first shift? ›
You should always try to get to work on time, especially on your first day. If you want to make an especially good impression, aim to arrive 10 to 15 minutes early.